2. Apply early for work placements in your penultimate university year. Use milkrounds to grill trainees and assess life at your target firm.
3. You'll need strong analytical skills and an eye for detail. Once in, be enthusiastic, determined and motivated. Always be a grafter.
4. Good interpersonal skills are vital. If you can't handle clients well, you won't get anywhere. Show interest in their business; be indispensable.
5. Only technically excellent solicitors make it to the top. Always add to your legal knowledge base and develop your commercial awareness.
6. Raise your profile by showing interest in your firm's work. Volunteer for recruitment days and do pro bono work to broaden your experience.
7. Cultivate your management skills. You won't make it to partner without being able to delegate work or supervise others.