'Capital is stronger, costs are lower and customer activity is gradually improving,' said chief executive Ross McEwan.
BSkyB launched a rights issue to fund the acquisition of its European counterparts this morning, as it announced revenues had risen 7%.
The company very slightly missed sales expectations, but R&D costs spiked. Meanwhile, sales of iPads are slowing.
SPONSORED: Chief financial officers face five issues in the future, including becoming change agents and becoming strategists.
He may be in line for a 10 million pound payout, but it hasn't been an illustrious three years for soon-to-depart Tesco boss Philip Clarke.
Customers are abandoning Barclays' anonymous trading platform in their droves, according to figures by the Financial Regulatory Authority.
A series of bad decisions by insurers means a once-in-a-lifetime coincidence could end up costing airlines millions.
Not a great morning for the newly privatised business: its parcels arm isn't doing as well as expected, and letters volumes are down.
The next instalment of MT's series, 'From Bean Counters to Strategic Thinkers: The growing role of the financial officer', in association with Canon, explores the single biggest factor shaping the decade ahead for CFOs: technology.
A full inquiry into retail and small business banking is on the cards, but breaking up banks probably won't solve the industry's problems.
It's been a tumultuous year for the Co-operative Group - but it's finally taken a positive step by selling its pharmacy arm for 620 million pounds to cash and carry chain Bestway.
- Justine Roberts, founder and CEO of Mumsnet, shares her top 3 reads
- 'I had to deal with inner turmoil almost daily' - the secret cost of hiding your sexuality
- Scrap free healthcare and give everyone a £1,000 cheque, says Freakonomics author Steven Levitt
- Can plastic surgery make you a better leader?
Latest from MT
Sporting distractions, what the world's richest man does with his spare time, Scottish indecisiveness.
- McColl's share price rises as sales grow but COO quits
- Bad luck for Stelios as EasyHotel IPO gets difficult
- 5 things you need to know about TSB's IPO
- TSB IPO: its share price jumped 10% this morning
- Zoopla share price jumps 8%, (temporarily) valuing it at 1 billion pounds: finally, a successful IPO?