MT250 Index - Explanatory note.
The companies are the 250 largest publicly quoted industrial and commercial companies measured by market capitalisation of equity on April 2 1991. All figures relate to the financial year 1990, or to financial years ended in 1990, or at the earliest September 31 1989, when later statistics were not available at time of compilation. The tables are compiled by Extel, the financial information group, and all of the appropriate data is drawn from the annual reports of the 250 companies which were published up to April 2 1991.
The figures in brackets featured in the key to columns A to F in parts 5 to 9 refer to the following:
(1) Profits less depreciation, loan interest, tax, minority interest, expressed as a percentage of invested capital.
(2) Profits less depreciation and loan interest etc. but before tax and minority interest, expressed as a percentage of invested capital.
(3) Net profits plus depreciation = total amount available to preference and ordinary shareholders as a percentage of invested capital.
(4) Preference and ordinary capital plus net reserves, intangibles and deferred liabilities = fixed assets, minus depreciation, plus net current and other assets, minus long-term loans and minorities.
(5) Invested capital plus depreciation.