1. HMV is poised to overtake Amazon as the UK's biggest entertainment retailer.
2. Aberdeen Asset Management CEO Martin Gilbert isn't planning an African adventure any time soon: 'I love Africa for investment but you need balls of steel. I admire Bob Diamond giving it a go,' he said.
3. The euro is now down almost 5% against the dollar since the beginning of July.
4. The recession wasn't as bad as we thought, as drug sales and prostitution helped contribute £10bn to the UK economy in 2009 alone.
5. Shares in Apple are at a record high, despite the celebrity photo leak scandal.
6. Uber has a valuation of $17bn – it now operates in 128 cities and 37 countries around the world.
7. UK job vacancies at 16-year high but firms are struggling to fill them.
8. Premier League clubs have spent £835m on new players during the summer transfer window, up a third on last year.
9. The average house price in the capital is now £499,000, compared with the national average of £265,000.
10. MT's diarist Howard Davies recently stumbled across 'cougar night' in northern California.