If even the thought of a run-of-the-mill, ‘Why do you want to work here?’ job interview brings you out in cold sweat, you might want to look away now. Glassdoor has collated what it thinks are the 10 trickiest questions posted on its company and interview review site in the last year – and there’s some good ‘uns.
But before anyone gets too hyperbolic about these oh-so-unfair questions, it’s worth pointing out that in most cases there is no right answer – interviewers aren’t necessarily trying to trip you up (although there may be a few cruel ones out there who are). More likely, just like those dastardly Oxbridge professors, they just want to see how you think. Although if you’re a nervous interviewee that’s easier said than done…
1. Can you calculate how many tennis balls are used during the course of Wimbledon?
Credit: Brussel and Sprout/Flickr
2. Estimate the total number of cars in the UK.
Also a lot.
Credit: Ben Salter/Flickr
Company: Barclays Capital
Role: Trading analyst
3. How many calories are in a grocery store?
Sigh. Can I just eat some chocolate already?
Role: Product manager
4. How would you sell a fridge to an Eskimo?
A sales classic. For a start, you might not want to call an Inuit an Eskimo…
Credit: Wili Hybrid/Flickr
Role: Temporary sales associate
5. What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?
Do Brad Pitt and/or Beyonce count?
Credit: Ronald Saunders/Flickr
Company: Urban Outfitters
Role: Sales assistant
6. Is Batman a superhero?
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Role: Support engineer
7. You have 17 red and 17 blue balls, and you remove 2 at a time. If the two are the same colour, add in one extra blue ball. If they are different colours, add in an extra red ball. What colour is the final ball removed?
I’m not even going to attempt this one.
Credit: Steve Snodgrass/Flickr
Role: Software engineer
8. What cartoon character would you be and why?
Disney? Pokemon? The Simpsons? It’s like making me choose between my children.
Role: Administrative assistant
9. What is the wildest thing that you have done?
Wouldn’t necessarily recommend total honesty here.
Credit: Dominic Simpson
Company Metro Bank
10. What was your opinion of the film Blair Witch Project?