The Japanese think differently from Westerners. Just how differently emerges from Nine Commandments, which Kozo Ohsone, Sony's manufacturing guru, drew up while making the Walkman a wow.
1. Believe that everything can be reduced by half.
2. In determining the size, don't worry about what will be housed inside.
3. Set a clear goal.
4. Just say OK, without considering any ramifications.
5. Difficulties can be overcome, but learn to live with the impossible.
6. Make something up and demonstrate it before explaining it.
7. Brainstorm offsite and stay away until your objective is achieved.
8. Keep interesting, funny ideas from your boss while working on them.
9. When you need a job done, choose someone who is very busy. Our own Tenth Commandment is to have such commandments - and obey them.