2. Aim for top ad agencies like TBWA, BBH, WPP, McCann-Erickson, Abbott Mead Vickers, JW Thompson, Ogilvy Mather, Publicis, Mother and CHI.
3. Choose your career path: creative, account planning or account management. The most common route to the top is through the third.
4. Graduates with a commercial sense will be better prepared. You need to be a team player with people management and communication skills.
5. Advertising is a young industry, and talented entrants are pushed hard. It's possible to become MD by 35. Salaries can top £300,000.
6. Get close to brilliant people. Learn from colleagues who are cleverer and more experienced than you to gain deeper insight into brands.
7. Cultivate genuine partnerships with clients to understand what their business is about and what its aims are. Help them add value.