Government grants Regional Growth Fund cash to 130 firms

The government has allocated over £1bn of public money to manufacturers and SMEs throughout England as part of its policy to get businesses moving.

by Michael Northcott
Last Updated: 19 Aug 2013

The deputy prime minister this morning announced another £1bn tranche of public investment in the regions (mainly outside London) through the Regional Growth Fund. Whilst a good portion of the money will go to SMEs, chunks of it will also go to established firms Jaguar, AgustaWestland and General Motors to safeguard jobs. Other firms that have been selected from 414 applications are Barbour, Dyson, and Aston Martin. The government’s aim is for firms to ‘expand their operations, create new jobs and stimulate growth’. We can’t help thinking investment in 130 firms is unlikely to end the recession though…

The scheme has come under fire in recent months for having been too slow in distributing the first tranche of cash. Westminster’s Public Accounts Committee last month slammed the scheme, saying it was ‘scandalous’ how few businesses it had reached so far. The RGF was originally worth £1.4bn in grants and was supposed to actually create 35,000 jobs, but the committee claimed only £60m had reached any companies since it launched back in 2011. The National Audit Office also found earlier this year that the fund was costing up to £200,000 for each new job it created. A very expensive exercise indeed.

Still, Clegg claims that for every pound in the Regional Growth Fund, the private sector is chipping in £6, meaning that the scheme will catalyse around £6bn worth of investment. Where this figure comes from is anyone's guess. He also said that 60% of the projects in the first two rounds of bidding (from firms trying to get their hands on some cash) had received a payout. The other 40%, he claims, are waiting or the government to complete its due diligence on their viability. If he’s right, then the money is a welcome boost to a recession-stricken private sector. 

So whilst there is a fair degree of scepticism about the scheme, and it only affects a handful of firms, any support is surely welcome whilst the recession still grinds on. Here’s hoping that Q4 brings us out of recession and the other two million UK firms can get back on their feet, too…

Find this article useful?

Get more great articles like this in your inbox every lunchtime

What pushy fish can teach you about influence at work

Research into marine power struggles casts light on the role of influence and dominant bosses...

The traits that will see you through Act II of the COVID crisis ...

Executive briefing: Sally Bailey, NED and former CEO of White Stuff.

What's the most useful word in a leader’s vocabulary?

It's not ‘why’, says Razor CEO Jamie Hinton.

Lessons in brand strategy: Virgin Radio and The O2

For brands to move with the times, they need to know what makes them timeless,...

Why collaborations fail

Collaboration needn’t be a dirty word.

How redundancies affect culture

There are ways of preventing 'survivor syndrome' derailing your recovery.