One of the most influential figures in British politics, Ruth Davidson is the Scottish Tory leader who 'saved her party from oblivion’. She has revived the Conservative’s fortunes north of the border, where the Tories have replaced Labour as the main party of opposition in Holyrood. In a country where the party has been a toxic brand since the days of Margaret Thatcher, that’s a remarkable turnaround.
Like Mhairi Black and the Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale, Davidson is openly gay and speaks publicly about her relationship with her partner Jen Wilson, announcing earlier today that she is pregnant after successful IVF treatment: ‘It's important that people realise that this happens and it's normal,' she said. 'Hopefully this takes some of the taboo or mystery away from it.’
Davidson grew up in a working-class family and, after graduating from Edinburgh University, pursued a career as a journalist, working at Kingdom FM in Fife before moving to BBC Scotland in Glasgow in 2002. She left the BBC to study international development at Glasgow University and joined the Conservative Party in 2009. Her rise has been meteoric. She became its youngest ever leader in 2011 and was recently named in a Time Magazine list of the world's most influential people.
Davidson is the keynote speaker at Management Today’s Inspiring Women conference in Edinburgh on May 15. She’ll be joined by:
- Carolyn Jameson, chief legal officer, Skyscanner
- Debbie Crosbie, COO, Clydesdale Bank
- Tracy Black, director, CBI Scotland
- Michelle Thomson, former MP, Edinburgh West
- Razan Alsous, managing director, Yorkshire Dama Cheese
This is your chance to:
- Quiz Britain’s most powerful businesswomen
- Improve your career prospects
- Learn how to build a mega-growth business
- Find out how to reach the top in male-dominated sectors
- Hear tips on boosting your confidence
- Get one-to-one mentoring
- Meet more than 150 of your peers (and potentially your next boss)
Tickets are £275 (plus VAT) but we're giving away tickets for FREE to two lucky readers. All you have to do is answer the (easy) question below.