Smiley happy people

Surveys on top celebrity smiles are like London buses – you wait for one for years and then two come along at once. But what exactly has George Clooney got to do with you getting ahead at work?

Last Updated: 31 Aug 2010

Just weeks after the International Stress Management Association crowned Ewan McGregor and Julia Roberts as monarchs of the grin, The British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry has jumped on the bandwagon. According to its survey, Kylie Minogue pipped Julia to the ladies’ title, while old smoothie Clooney cleaned up in the men’s section.

The BACD also asked respondents how they felt about their smiles. Apparently, 32% said they were ‘concerned by the look of their teeth’, while nearly 20% ‘usually conceal their teeth in photos’. In fact, a mere 25% said they were completely happy with the way their smile looked (for obvious methodological reasons, we’re hoping this was a random sample, rather than a group of people in the waiting room of cosmetic dentists).

Now this may seem like a mere trifle for an organ that typically concerns itself with far weightier issues of management and strategy. But believe it or not, our dissatisfaction with our smiles could well be restricting our business success. Research has shown that attractive people do better at work – and people are more attractive when they smile. So if three-quarters of us are going round with our lips pursed, it’s no wonder we’re not getting that promotion.

The BACD’s findings seem to chime with that – apparently men in particular think that having a nice smile will make you more successful (women prefer to think it points to a warm personality).

So what’s the answer? Well believe it or not, the BACD suggests…wait for it… yes, cosmetic dentistry. Apparently 27% of its respondents believe this kind of work can improve the equality of their life. Although it didn’t mention whether the other 73% felt it was a complete waste of time and money.

Find this article useful?

Get more great articles like this in your inbox every lunchtime

The art of leadership: From Marcus Aurelius to Martin Luther King

Transformational, visionary, servant… enough is enough.

Lockdown stress: 12 leaders share practical coping tips

In hard times, it's far too easy for the boss to forget to look after...

Don’t just complain about uncertainty, find the tools to navigate it

Traditional in-person research methods won’t work right now, but that’s no excuse for a wait-and-see...

How well have CEOs performed during the coronavirus pandemic?

A new survey offers a glimpse into what their staff think.

Why women leaders are excelling during the coronavirus pandemic

There is a link between female leaders and successful responses to COVID-19.

Why your employees don’t speak up

Research: Half of workers don’t feel comfortable to express concerns - and it’s usually because...