Chips with everything! These clever little chips, which power the new Apple iPhone 4S, the iPad and thousand of other devices, have helped boost ARM's operating profits by a stonking 44% in the third quarter, topping £56m.
ARM is now on target to hit a £477m annual turnover this year, despite the shaky state of many semiconductor companies and falling sales in non-mobile markets.
Other chip facts:
- Unlike ARM, STMicroelectronics, Europe’s largest chipmaker, saw profits tumble 64% in the third quarter
- Recycling bins in Cambridge, where ARM is headquartered, are to be armed (fnar) with chips to monitor (and possibly reward or penalise) residents for their recycling efforts
- Britain eats 22,000 tonnes of chips (the potato variety) every week
- McCain is the king of the frozen chip industry. The company provides all of McDonalds fries and around one in every three chips consumed in the UK has passed through a McCain factory.
- King Edward, Maris Piper, Romano and Desirée are the best potatoes for making chips.