Weetabix goes east for £1.2bn

Shanghai-based Bright Food to buy 60% stake in the international cereal business.

by Michael Northcott
Last Updated: 29 Aug 2013

The ownership of British cereal favourite Weetabix was re-hashed today, with China’s Bright Food taking a 60% stake from the current owners Lion Capital, in a deal valuing the manufacturer at £1.2bn. Lion Capital and members of Weetabix’s management will retain the remaining 40% stake in the company.

Weetabix, which used to be family-owned, now exports its cereals to more than 80 countries and owns other delicious brands including Alpen, Ready Brek and Weetos. It was sold to Lion Capital in 2004, after having been in the family since it was founded in 1936, so it is a genuine British cereal institution.

The deal is a coup for Bright Food, after a series of failed takeovers have dogged its overseas expansion plans. It tried to buy Australian firm CSR’s sugar business and also French yoghurt manufacturer Yoplait, as well as US retailer GNC and Britain’s United Biscuits. All of the deals fell through for various reasons, including pricing disagreements, terms and regulatory issues. 

Bright Food calls itself ‘China’s leading food group’, and is apparently looking to cash in on the growing popularity of breakfast cereals in China, where hot cereals in particular go like, well, hot cakes. Let’s hope that this is one great British brand takeover that goes better than Kraft’s infamous acquisition of Cadbury Schweppes…

Find this article useful?

Get more great articles like this in your inbox every lunchtime

When spying on your staff backfires

As Barclays' recently-scrapped tracking software shows, snooping on your colleagues is never a good idea....

A CEO’s guide to smart decision-making

You spend enough time doing it, but have you ever thought about how you do...

What Tinder can teach you about recruitment

How to make sure top talent swipes right on your business.

An Orwellian nightmare for mice: Pest control in the digital age

Case study: Rentokil’s smart mouse traps use real-time surveillance, transforming the company’s service offer.

Public failure can be the best thing that happens to you

But too often businesses stigmatise it.

Andrew Strauss: Leadership lessons from an international cricket captain

"It's more important to make the decision right than make the right decision."