I still haven't received the promised PA or company car, and my workload is too much to enable me to take advantage of the promised flexible hours system. My polite enquiries have been met with excuses. At three months into the job, should I put my foot down now or wait to see how it pans out?
A: This being the real world, your course of action must depend on the strength of your hand. In other words, if you've got a better job to go to - or a fair certainty of getting one - you should bring things to a head as soon as possible.
Presumably, you were lured on the strength of a written contract. And, presumably, you can show that it hasn't been honoured. Three months is quite long enough for any company to find you a car and a PA. There's evidence here of either incompetence or institutional shiftiness.
But it's easy enough for me to be brave on your behalf when it's not my livelihood at stake. So tread carefully if your hand is weak. Make sure you have a safe haven in sight before you issue an ultimatum. An empty bluff called would be the worst of all outcomes for you.
- Jeremy Bullmore has been creative director and chairman of J Walter Thompson London and a non-executive director of the both Guardian Media Group and WPP. Address your problems to Jeremy Bullmore at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Regrettably, no correspondence can be entered into.